Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Human Machine (George B. Bridgman)

The Human Machine
George B. Bridgman
Dover
Nonfiction, Art
**** (Good)


DESCRIPTION: The art of drawing the human figure is often taught as a series of bones and muscles to be memorized and replicated, without consideration of the dynamic kinetics that make a body truly live. Bridgman presents human anatomy in terms of its remarkable mechanical structure.

REVIEW: Yet another part of my ongoing efforts to improve my dubious artistic skills... With many illustrations, Bridgman demonstrates the hidden mechanics of joints, muscles, and bones. The text makes for occasionally interesting reading, as well. It is similar to the previous Bridgman book I've read (Constructive Anatomy, reviewed previously on this blog here), but with a different angle of presentation to avoid being a complete retread. I'd like to believe I learned something from its pages, though this kind of book takes more than one pass-through to fully appreciate.

1 comment:

  1. do you have the newly printed version? it's quality is horrendous, I can barely see some of the pictures at all. Or do you have an older edition? I'm wondering if the 1972 version is better...

    ReplyDelete