Saturday, January 8, 2011

Constructive Anatomy (George B. Bridgman)

Constructive Anatomy
George B. Bridgman
Dover
Nonfiction, Art
****+ (Good/Great)



DESCRIPTION: With over 500 illustrations, this book describes the forms of the human body and how they fit together.

REVIEW:
I've seen it recommended more times than I can recall in online art communities, so I decided it was worth a shot. At first blush, the drawings look a bit scribbly around the edges, but there's a method to the perceived messiness. Bridgman emphasizes shape and form over specific detail, with blocks and masses interconnecting to create a whole. Once in a while I found the text unhelpful, but working my way through this book image by image has certainly proven useful and educational. I'm sure more advanced or dedicated art students would get even more out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment