Friday, January 3, 2014

Write That Book Already! (Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark)

Write That Book Already!
Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark
Adams Media
Nonfiction, Writing
**** (Good)


DESCRIPTION: Plenty of books tell you how to write, but what does it really take to get published? What must you expect from your editor, your agent, your publisher - and yourself? Authors Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark walk you through the process, from draft generation to printing to backlisting.

REVIEW: Written with touches of wit, this book does just what its subtitle claims, providing a look at the marketing and publishing of a novel. The writing process itself is important enough to mention, but it's not the priority here; other books cover the topic quite thoroughly. Some of the advice I'd read elsewhere, and some was new to me, but all of it proved informative, if somewhat overwhelming and occasionally discouraging. It concludes with a helpful glossary of printing and publishing terms, and a section where famous authors list books that inspired them. For the most part, I liked it, even if some of the humor fell flat.

You Might Also Enjoy:
How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story (Lida E. Quillen and Anne K. Edwards, editors) - My Review
How I Published My Book And Sold Thousands of Copies (Kenneth Tingle) - My Review
Your First Novel (Ann Rittenberg and Laura Whitcomb) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment