Friday, January 21, 2022

Full Throttle (Joe Hill)

Full Throttle: Stories
Joe Hill
William Morrow
Fiction, Collection/Fantasy/Horror/Sci-Fi
**** (Good)


DESCRIPTION: A biker gang is hunted by a trucker with a vendetta... a brother and sister follow a child's call for help into a field of tall grass that is less benign than it appears... a girl in the future rents an artificial friend to salvage a terrible birthday... a ruthless corporate "woodcutter" on an English train finds himself seated across from a wolf in a business suit... news of an "event" halfway around the world changes everything for the passengers of a commercial jet over the middle of America... These and other chilling stories by noted author Joe Hill appear in this collection.

REVIEW: Another audiobook to pass time at work, this edition featured different narrators for each story (some of which were better than others, or at least easier to hear in a somewhat noisy warehouse environment), plus an introduction and acknowledgements of influences and details of writing each story. As with most collections and anthologies, I found the contents a bit of a mixed bag. While each was solidy written, some clicked with me better than others, and a couple or three felt slightly drawn out past effectiveness. There's also a strong tendency to downer endings, which Hill himself acknowledges. Overall, though, these stories kept me entertained (which is more than I could say for the three audiobooks that failed to engage me before I got to this one in my Overdrive queue), and effectively evoked tension and terror, plus the additional information was interesting.

You Might Also Enjoy:
The Anything Box (Zenna Henderson) - My Review
Heart-Shaped Box (Joe Hill) - My Review
Eyes Like Sky And Coal And Moonlight (Cat Rambo) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment