Saturday, May 19, 2018

Sun Dragon's Song #1 (Joyce Chng)

Sun Dragon's Song #1
The Sun Dragon's Song series, Issue 1
Joyce Chng, illustrations by Kim Miranda
Rosarium Publishing
Fiction, CH Fantasy/Graphic Novel
***+ (Okay/Good)


DESCRIPTION: Young Ho Yi dreams of becoming a Sun Dragon rider like his parents, soaring above the land on his own beast, but everyone tells him his crutches will keep him an earthbound nobody. Despite the bullying, despite his own fears that he'll never fly, he works hard while his parents are away at war, fetching the crystals the dragons feed upon. But will his hard work ever be enough?

REVIEW: It's a little tough to rate this one fairly; it is, as stated, just Issue 1 of a longer work. As such, it's rather short and ends inconclusively. Even for such a short glimpse, though, the edges of the tale feel watered down. Ho Yi and his world are intriguing, though not much deeper than the paper (or Nook screen) on which they appear. Naturally, I liked what I saw of the sun dragons. The art, like the story, tends to simple lines, but they do the job. I will probably read onward, though I am pushing the limit of my monthly Hoopla checkout allowance so it may have to wait.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Cora and the Nurse Dragon (H. L. Burke) - My Review
Dragonsdale (Salamanda Drake) - My Review
Dragon Keeper (Carole Wilkinson) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment