Thursday, October 5, 2017

My Father's Dragon (Ruth Stiles Gannett)

My Father's Dragon
(The My Father's Dragon series, Book 1)
Ruth Stiles Gannett
CreateSpace
Fiction, CH Fantasy
****+ (Good/Great)


DESCRIPTION: When young Elmer Elevator helps an old stray cat, she rewards him by telling him of Wild Island, where a young dragon is held captive by the local animals. He sets out to rescue it with a bag full of surprises, but can he outwit the beasts?

REVIEW: This award-winning classic children's story has the feel of a fairy tale. Elmer encounters several memorable characters, coming up with clever solutions to a number of problems on his way to free the dragon. The illustrations are whimsical, adding to the fun, and if the ending's a bit abrupt, well, it is a story meant for young kids, so once the main problem is resolved there's little reason to linger. Though a bit lightweight for my personal tastes, I can see this book becoming a beloved read-along memory for children, and Elmer's a resourceful young hero for them to look up to.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Dragon (Jody Bergsma) - My Review
The Book of Dragons (Edith Nesbit) - My Review
Sir Toby Jingle's Beastly Journey (Wallace Tripp) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment