Friday, March 21, 2014

Short Tales (Volume One) (Steve R. Yeager)

Short Tales (Volume One)
Steve R. Yeager
Amazon Digital Services
Fiction, Collection/Fantasy/Sci-Fi
**+ (Bad/Okay)


DESCRIPTION: An impatient wizard's apprentice turns to unorthodox means of speeding his education... a pair of pink ponies face a terrible ogre in the woods... a man struggles to survive in a world destroyed by reanimated dinosaurs... the author Steve R. Yeager collects six stories and a poem.
A Kindle-exclusive title.

REVIEW: Aside from being a little long-winded, the stories themselves aren't too terrible, if obvious. What dropped this rating a half-star is the presentation. Yeager prefaces them with self-depreciating introductions, mentioning how they're early works and flawed, yet he didn't fix them up before publishing them here. As a reader, I wasn't sure how to react. Was I supposed to reassure him that these were perfectly fine, or figure that I wasn't worth his best effort, since this was "just" a cheap Kindle collection? Either way, it set me up to be disappointed. Or disgruntled. And then he goes on to pitch his book series, based on the post-dinosaur-apocalypse story. If he can't be bothered to put the best, most polished face on his short stories before showing them to me, am I really supposed to be excited about his book-length works? No, thank you.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Dragonfold (Tyrean Martinson) - My Review
Flower of Scotland 1 (William Meikle) - My Review
The Good, The Bad, and the Utterly Screwed (Steff Metal) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment