Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chloe and the Lion (Mac Barnett and Adam Rex)

Chloe and the Lion
Mac Barnett, illustrations by Adam Rex
Hyperion
Fiction, YA Picture Book
***** (Great)


DESCRIPTION: Young Chloe, dizzy after a ride on the merry-go-round, takes a wrong turn on the way home. Suddenly, she's face-to-face with a... dragon? No, it's supposed to be a lion! Author Mac just wants to write his story, but his artist and his heroine keep getting in his way.

REVIEW: I stumbled across this one at work, and managed to read it during a lull. A clever story that should appeal to grown-ups as well as kids, it's a lesson in both persistence and adaptability. The pictures are just fun, even when Max has to try his own hand at art in a desperate attempt to finish his story, which doesn't go nearly as he'd planned. (As a writer myself, I can relate to stories taking on lives of their own... and stories insisting on being told, even when I don't think I can tell them.)

You Might Also Enjoy:
Children Make Terrible Pets (Peter Brown) - My Review
Never Let Your Cat Make Lunch For You (Lee Harris) - My Review
Sir Toby Jingle's Beastly Journey (Wallace Tripp) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment