Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Crankee Doodle (Tom Angleberger)

Crankee Doodle
Tom Angleberger, illustrations by Cece Bell
Clarion Books
Fiction, YA Picture Book
**** (Good)


DESCRIPTION: A bored Yankee becomes very cross when his pony suggests a trip to town to relieve the monotony.

REVIEW: Inspired by the patriotic song "Yankee Doodle Dandy", which was likely written to mock rustic revolutionary Americans and comes across as either silly or just plain incomprehensible to modern ears, this absurd little story follows an argument that ranges from shopping to fashion accessories to the merits of various pastas. (Sadly, I've actually had conversations roughly as silly as this.) It made me smile, at any rate, and it killed some slow time at work.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Old MacDonald Had a Dragon (Ken Baker) - My Review
Shark vs. Train (Chris Barton) - My Review
Of Thee I Sing: A Letter To My Daughters (Barack Obama) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment