Sunday, February 9, 2014

Six-shooter Tales (I. J. Parnham)

Six-shooter Tales
I. J. Parnham
Culbin Press
Fiction, Collection/Western
**** (Good)


DESCRIPTION: The trail of vengeance leads to a jail cell, consulting a Native American medicine man leads to a mixed-up fortune, an amnesiac finds himself drawn into a robbery gone wrong, a hired gun's two potential clients want each other killed, the search for the best deputy pits dirt-street wits against bookish education, an aging gunfighter relives his one triumph in increasingly-exaggerated Wild West shows... six tales of the Old West are gathered in this collection.
A Kindle-exclusive title.

REVIEW: As short stories go, these aren't bad. Some of the "twists" were obvious, and a few conclusions failed to satisfy, but on the whole I've read far worse. They all evoke the spirit of the era, with grizzled gunfighters and casual violence and dusty trails from nowhere to nowhere; this success tipped the balance toward a solid Good rating, even though westerns aren't quite my usual cup of cocoa. (I admit I rated it with my usual iffy anthology luck in mind.) If you're looking for a quick-reading dose of the wild West, this would be a decent choice.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Frontier Earth (Bruce Boxleitner) - My Review
Killing Dirty (Pete Clark) - My Review
Riders of the Purple Sage (Zane Grey) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment