Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What's Your Book? (Brooke Warner)

What's Your Book?
Brooke Warner
She Writes Press
Nonfiction, Writing
***+ (Okay/Good)


DESCRIPTION: A thriller, a romantic comedy, a memoir... you have a book in you that you'd love to publish, but you don't know how. Maybe you have a manuscript but don't know how to tell if it's any good, or maybe you keep finding ways to stop yourself from starting. Let an experienced author lead you through the process, from getting out of your own way to building a multimedia platform to promote yourself and your book.

REVIEW: Another how-to-write/how-to-publish guide, it covers similar information to other such books I've read, enough that I found myself skimming now and again. The author's experience in the publishing world offers more insight to how that world is changing, and what the savvy writer needs to know to keep ahead of those changes and maximize their chances of success. She emphasizes the need to build a visible platform, generating a reading audience even before submitting to agents or editors, in order to be noticed in the slush pile; I'm not certain that's 100% accurate, from my own research, but if you're a social person I don't think it can hurt. The eBook edition I read offers links at the end for helpful resources, a nice bonus. All in all, this isn't a bad guide. I just found myself skimming a little too often for a solid Good rating.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Writers Write (William Meikle) - My Review
Write your novel in 7 days or less: the shortcut to writing fast and good (Mark Quadmire) - My Review
So You Want an Author Platform? (Louise Wise) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment