Monday, May 13, 2013

How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story (Lida E. Quillen and Anne K. Edwards, editors)

How I Wrote My First Book: The Story Behind the Story
Lida E. Quillen and Anne K. Edwards, editors
Twilight Times Books
Nonfiction, Writing
***+ (Okay/Good)


DESCRIPTION: They say most anyone can write a book, but, statistically, only a small percentage of the population even try... and, of them, an even smaller number persevere through revisions and queries and rejection letters to be published. Several authors discuss how they became writers, overcoming obstacles both practical and psychological.
A Kindle-exclusive title.

REVIEW: I should probably state at the outset that, no, I have not read anything by any of the authors in this eBook. I do, however, have delusions of eventual authorship... delusions that every contributor not only shared at some point, but managed to miraculously transform into reality. As one might expect from a collection of essays, the writing varies significantly, along with my interest. While some seem wordy and dry and a few try too hard to be clever, other entries prove engaging. All present a side of the writing process not often seen by outsiders. Some formatting and proofreading issues aside, it wasn't a bad read. In the end, I found it more inspiring than not.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Sometimes the Magic Works: Lessons from a Writing Life (Terry Brooks) - My Review
Writing Down the Bones (Natalie Goldberg) - My Review
Bird by Bird (Anne Lamott) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment