Friday, February 8, 2013

The Toughest Mile (William Meikle)

The Toughest Mile
(The William Meikle Short Story Collection)
William Meikle
Amazon Digital Services
Fiction, Fantasy
**** (Good)


DESCRIPTION: Stolen from his green home, Garn became a thrall in the desert realm of the Witch Queen. By day he fights in the Pits for the amusement of the masses, while by night the queen demands his personal attention. After his hundredth kill, he finally has a chance to earn his freedom - if he can survive a ten-mile gauntlet and the Witch Queen's pet killers.
A Kindle-exclusive title.

REVIEW: As I've mentioned in previous reviews, I've had mixed luck with short stories. I was pleasantly surprised here. After a bit of a slow start, the tale picks up nicely, building to a tense climax. After years of dreaming and longing, Garn finds the road to freedom far more difficult than he had anticipated... even discounting the assassins on his heels. It made for a fast and enjoyable read, which is just what I was looking for when I downloaded it.

You Might Also Enjoy:
Sword Dancer (Jennifer Roberson) - My Review
Game Over - Extended Edition (Todd Thorne) - My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment